Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hymn text


I regret that I have been somewhat negligent in my blogging over the past two weeks. A new semester has begun, and once again my routine has been turned upside down. But such is the life of an academic! In my attempt to catch up, I'll start by offering a hymn text of mine that I recently rediscovered by accident. I do not consider myself a poet by any stretch of the imagination, and I am much more comfortable creating tunes as opposed to texts, but I am also a firm believer in the practice of sharing liturgical resources, however meager they may be. With that, I offer you exactly one half of my life's textual output.


O Divine Mystery who gave birth to all of creation,
Your reconciling grace joins us in holy relation.
Blest unity! God's binding love sets us free to live as one congregation.

We on earth struggle to recognize you in each other.
Grant us the courage to treat all as sister or brother.
Age, gender, race - distinctive vessels of grace, incomplete without another.

Humbly we ask for your blessing on each land and nation.
Praying that one day we'll join in the great celebration;
singing your song, each voice resounds clear and strong, echoes the cry of salvation.

Copyright 2008, Erika K. R. Hirsch
Suggested tune: LOBE DEN HERREN ("Praise to the Lord, the Almighty")

No comments: