Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Moravian Stars


I was attempting to sermonize last Saturday on the topic of disenchantment. The fact that I had just finished a stressful week of reading and writing (“academizing,” if you will…) meant that my few functioning synapses were running on empty. I ended up being disenchanted with the sermon and much more enchanted with the Apartment Therapy website. Now that the sermon has been preached, I thought I might try to combine some of my liturgical and home deco interests into one blog entry. Ready?

The image above comes from the Moravian Bookshop website. I learned about Moravian stars when I first became interested in Moravian influences on Methodist hymnody. This particular type of star was first crafted around 1850 in a handiwork class at the Moravian boys’ school in Niesky, Germany. The design became quite popular and for many years was produced exclusively in Germany.

Glass stars make excellent Advent/Christmas gifts, while paper stars would serve as cheery, homespun additions to Christmas trees in either home or sanctuary. Lighted plastic stars could brighten a house or apartment year-round, especially in a nursery or a child’s bedroom.

For additional info:
www.moravianbookshop.com
www.moravianstars.com
www.lenox.com Even Lenox now sells a small, lighted Moravian star. Incidentally, it’s the least expensive one I came across.

No comments: