Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Psalm in Times of Threatening Weather

O Holy Being, the waters begin their approach.
The beating of my heart rivals the pounding surf...
Every muscle tense, every breath aware that it is numbered.
Where are you to be found?

Ascribe to the Lord all thanks and praise, I know.
Mark all creation with the citation of Sacred Authorship.
Lie prostrate before the mighty "acts of God" that are the wind and the waves.
Yet where is the logic in this destruction?

I try to take refuge in your omniscience and omnipotence.
Perhaps you test, you teach, you toughen through devastation.
But what reward, what lesson, what strength is worth lives which you carefully crafted?
I find none.

I fail to distract myself from my fear with these unanswerable questions.
What I wish I could say, what I wish I could sing, what I wish I could pray...
What I long to know, to believe, to sense in my innermost being, I speak into existence:
Be here.

No comments: