Sunday, December 28, 2008

A New Discipline for a New Year


Between the ages of eight and eighteen, I faithfully wrote in my journal every night. I began by writing the date, and I ended by signing my name. For whatever reason, I had to write at least one full page. After the first few years, I started to look over my previous entries, painful as it was! (One likes to think that one has matured over time, but evidence in support of that claim can still be difficult to look at...) Once I began college, my entries became less and less frequent, and I started to question my motivations for writing. After several years of introspective surveyance and a few thorough readings of Alexandra Johnson's book Leaving a Trace, I have attempted to revive my daily ritual.

I am currently reading a collection of memoirs written by Moravian women who lived during the 18th century. These women wrote accounts of their spiritual lives as a history of their participation in the Moravian community. These memoirs were intended to be read aloud at their funeral. I suppose it is my study of these women combined with my own renewed writing practice that leads me to wonder what a revival of spiritual writing would look like in the modern congregation.

As such an activity presumes a certain level of literacy, it may not be appropriate for all members of the congregation. On the other hand, it may be an opportunity for congregants to collaborate and for families to be creative together. How might spiritual writing be incorporated into the life of the worshipping community?

  • Spiritual journeys or meditations could be collected and distributed as aids for personal devotion during Lent or another liturgical season
  • Moravian-style memoirs could be collected and bound as part of the congregation's history
  • Written prayers could be folded as origami or strung together as a garland and used to enhance liturgical space
  • Families or faith partners could journal together as a way of being spiritually accountable to God and to one another
  • Congregants could take note of any questions raised or thoughts inspired by the sermon or other acts of worship as a reminder to follow up later
Do you have other ideas to share? I would gladly welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

No comments: