Thursday, January 8, 2009

e-piph-a-ny

+ a Christian festival, observed on January 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day.

+ an appearance or manifestation, esp. of a deity.

+ a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2006


At the heart of the festival day we call Epiphany is a most supreme manifestation of honor and gratitude - the three Magi appear at the stable to offer royal gifts for the newborn Christ child. But the term "epiphany" also means something similar to a revelation, or an "aha" moment. In the spirit of the season, I would like to share a recent epiphanic moment of mine.

I made it my Advent goal to fully appreciate the wait - to let my eyes adjust to the darkness so that I could experience the slow growth of light from a single flickering flame. I paid special attention to songs of preparation, both sacred and secular. Of course there are countless songs anticipating the arrival of Santa Clause, and a decent number of Advent hymns preparing the way for the birth of Jesus. It occurs to me (and this is the epiphanic moment) that while there are many songs that express excitement about Santa's visit, and many songs and rituals that communicate to Santa the many gifts that both little and big hearts desire, I can't think of a single song that thanks Santa Clause for the gifts that he brought. I cannot imagine that the North Pole post office is flooded with letters of gratitude on December 26.

A former pastor of mine told me a story about his own birth. After all the preparation for his arrival, after the excitement of the actual birth, his relatives finally got to bring him home. They entered the house, set the infant down, looked at one another and exclaimed, "Now what?" That simple phrase of bewilderment must have flown through the minds of the holy parents. The same phrase summarizes my thoughts about this period immediately following Christmas. Before we move on to commemorate Jesus' baptism some 30 years after his birth, what do we do? For weeks we have awaited the moment of birth, and now that it has arrived, what do we do with it?

Perhaps this is the time when we should sing our boisterous carols. Perhaps this is the time to decorate our homes and sanctuaries. What if we watched our holiday movies now? What if we held our holiday festivities now? And why don't we worship with liturgies of thanksgiving and adoration now? After all, isn't this the time when we ought to be rejoicing?

Let us continue our merriment and holy revels. Let us seize our time of celebration. This is the moment - may it not pass us by!



1 comment:

Amy C.G. said...

What a wonderful idea. I've long felt that the time before Christmas with it's bustle and decoration and preparation was a mismatch with a time that should be calm and reflective. How much better it would be to begin all that on Christmas day and then have a longer celebration. You've given me a great idea for a new family ritual. My ephiphany moment comes in the realization that, like my own personal relationship with my savior, I can celebrate Christmas in my own way. Even though it may not exactly fit with this cultures celebrations, I can celebrate in a way that nourishes myself, my family and brings us closer to God.